This afternoon and evening could be a fairly active period for storms across the Phoenix area, southeastern Arizona and the mountains.
Deep monsoon moisture is in place across the state. Once clouds thin out and daytime heating begins, storms are expected to develop.
There's also an inverted trough south of Arizona that may track northbound into our state, enhancing thunderstorm activity.
The main threats from today's storms would be heavy downpours, flooding and some strong winds.
[RAIN TOTALS: Check the numbers]
[SPECIAL SECTION: Monsoon 2018]
Storm chances drop off a bit Thursday and Friday before ramping back up again this weekend.
In Phoenix, look for a 40 percent chance of storms today and a 50 percent chance of storms tonight with a high of 98. Storm chances drop to 20 percent Thursday and Friday, then up to 30 percent Saturday and Sunday. Highs will range from 101 degrees Thursday to 105 degrees through this weekend.
Copyright 2018 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.