The Verrado High School baseball pitcher who died unexpectedly in his home in early May died of an accidental overdose, the Medical Examiner's Office said on Wednesday.
The report said 17-year-old Bryan McKinsey overdosed on fentanyl.
He had a history of anxiety and depression and a small baggy containing blue pills and aluminum foil were found in his wallet, the medical examiner said.
McKinsey helped his team get to the state finals last season.
The loss of McKinsey was devastating to his family, friends, and fellow members of the Verrado Vipers baseball team.
"This was his extended family and every single one of them was an extension of that extended family," said one of his teammates.
He was found dead in his home on May 9.
Fentanyl is a narcotic that is used to treat severe pain.
McKinsey died just days before he was supposed to lead his team in the state finals.
His father said that the incredible support from the baseball community helped the family get by.
"The families are here, and this is such a small and tight-knit community, it just makes it easier," said Daryl McKinsey. "It's not easy by any stretch, but it makes it easier."
Related stories:Verrado HS baseball remembers teammate who died unexpectedly Verrado HS baseball team honors teammate that died while playing for state title Dad shares heartbreaking warning after son dies of fentanyl overdose
Copyright 2018 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.