Maricopa County Recorder Adrian Fontes says he's forging ahead after last month's voting problems in the primaries but can't guarantee the general election will go off without a hitch.
But he did say he will do all he can to make the November 2018 General Election tun more smoothly than the primary election.
"As we look ahead to November, the office’s main priorities include providing transparency and sustaining the strong partnership we have with the community. It’s our responsibility to keep them informed with accurate and up-to-date information,” Fontes said.
Fontes spoke with reporters Wednesday, saying his office didn't effectively communicate with the public about other options for voting when dozens of polling locations opened late because of equipment issues.
Fontes maintains that a contractor hired to set up machines didn't send enough techs, which the company, Tempe-based Insight, denies.
"We did everything we could," said Fontes about the technical issues. "We moved forward in good faith."
Fontes says he did not renew a contract with Insight to handle equipment setup in the November general election and that county workers will do that instead.
Democrat Fontes ousted the former elections chief after voter outrage over long lines during the 2016 primary election. Republicans have already started attacking Fontes with videos on social media.
Copyright 2018 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.