A man was found shot to death inside his garage Sunday morning in Avondale, police said.

Around 5 a.m., officers responded to a report about shots fired at a home near 125th Avenue and W. Lower Buckeye Road, according to the Avondale Police Department.

Story Continues Below

Officers found the homeowner, Ramon Oseguera, shot in the back in the garage. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

During the investigation, police learned Oseguera had a disagreement with his neighbor Ruben Alvarez, according to the Avondale Police Department.

Oseguera's wife reported seeing Alvarez throw his phone onto the ground after an argument and then heard her husband say to Alvarez, "I'm your friend, I'm your friend," according to the original police report. She then heard several loud "pops."

[MUG SHOT: Ruben Alvarez]

Story Continues Below

As the investigation continued, Alvarez was identified as a suspect, police said.

Alvarez reportedly fled the scene in his grey pickup truck, documents said.

With the help of Phoenix Police Department, Avondale police found Alvarez with his girlfriend and placed him under arrest near 17th Avenue and W. Chanute Pass, police said.

Alvarez told police he woke up around 3 a.m. and left his house after brushing his teeth, heading toward his children's house, documents said.

Jose Luis Arellano is a nephew of Oseguera, who he said was his No. 1 fan at his soccer games.

Story Continues Below

"Back when I was like in the fifth grade, he would take me to go play soccer with him and his son," Arellano said.

"I heard three shots. They were very loud," said Gloria Armenta, who lives across the street.

[PDF: Original police report on Ruben Alvarez]

She said she ran outside to see Oseguera, a friend of eight years, lifeless on the garage floor. She said Alvarez was involved in a lot of illegal activity at his house.

"We find out that there was (sic) a lot of drugs in that house, a syringe and stuff, so that's scary," Armenta said. “They were always outside. I never turned around and looked at him. I never did. Why? I didn’t want to have eye contact because I know what they’re doing."

Story Continues Below

Alvarez’ family ran inside their home when they saw our news truck and wouldn’t answer the door when we tried knocking.

Now Oseguera’s family is left in mourning, and his nephew wishes they could reminisce about that last soccer game they shared together.

“Remember when I scored that goal?” said Arellano. “Come back.”

Oseguera's family said he was just about to leave with his parents to go to California for a funeral. His parents couldn’t get ahold of him, and that’s when they learned of his death Sunday afternoon.

Police said there are no other suspects.

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

Copyright 2018 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.